Monday, March 2, 2009

Lows and Highs

So Trenton's platelet count is down to 5,000 again. Tyler and I both knew it would be low, based on more bruising and stuff. But I think I was just hoping that I would be surprised. No such luck. We do get to wean him off the Prednisone though, being done with it within the week. Maybe I can sleep in past 5:30am, that would be cool.

We have another appointment for next Monday to go in again, this time for another treatment. We aren't going to do the IVIG that we did while in the hospital, since it didn't work at all. We are trying another drug called WinRho. I guess it's kind of the same thing, but not. Does that help everyone? Yea, me either. It is an IV thing, but it can still be done at the clinic, which is nice. There aren't too many bad side effects, but he could feel nauseous, and achy, so please pray that he handles it all ok.

If that doesn't work, we may just be told to wait a bit (a bit being months). The doctor still doesn't want to do the harsher chemo drugs, since they don't really know the effects of what it could do in ten years. And she said she's responsible for him for the next 100 years, so she really doesn't want to do that to him. So we really hope this does something to his count. We are sick of waiting, sick of bruises, sick of his helmet, and sick of not seeing his precious blonde toe head!

On a lighter note, I ordered Chili's-to-go for dinner tonight with a gift card I got (thanks boss), and I set Trenton down on a bar chair for a second to sign the receipt. Then I start to hear this crunching. I quick look, and Trenton totally stole a chip from this other guy's plate! Luckily, the guy was cool about it and just laughed, saying that of course he should take a chip, everyone else had some! I felt like such a dork, but still laughed the whole way home. It was a great release from the stress of the day.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, Tyler, and Trenton,

    I am thinking of you. Please don't hesitate to call me (I know where you can get my number if you don't have it already) if you need anything, even a break!

    Is Irene taking his blood at Children's? If so, tell her hi for us. She (among others there) have watched Nick grow up. She's so good, isn't she?

    Love you!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mari-Jo and Tyler!
    I check your blog often to see how little Trenton is doing. He is SERIOUSLY the cutest little boy I've ever seen! :) You are all in my prayers!!
    --Kara P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mari-Jo,
    I follow Kim's blog and she said something about your little guy with a link to your blog. I am so sorry that your son has been having platelet problems. My son Nicholas has had numerous health problems with reflux, ADHD, and weight issues, so I understand the worrying you must do for him. He sounds like a really sweet fun boy! I will be praying for you guys. Amy DenOuden Jongetjes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys!
    I have been checking in often to see how that sweet little handsome man of yours is doing. He is such a fighter, very impressed by his strength...And with the grace of God and all the prayers, he will only get stronger! Always thinking of you guys and praying everyday for Trenton. He is absolutely amazing! Take care of yourselves and please let me know what I can do to help...Dinner??

    Heather Codd

    ReplyDelete