Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bloody Tuesday

Maybe some of you are thinking, what does this disorder really do to Trenton other than he bruises easier? Big deal! Well, let me tell you.

I was about one second from falling asleep last night when I hear "owie...owie" Not really a painful cry, more of a matter of fact kind of statement, with some curiosity. Crap, I know that means he sees blood. So I go in his room and Trenton is absolutely covered in blood. His nose had probably been bleeding for about a half hour. It's on his face, jammies, blanket, pipe, and his sheets are drenched. The poor kid just looks at you like, what is going on?!

So Tyler and I begin to change sheets and wipe new blood and crusty blood, etc. We call the Children's Hematology direct line (which is kind of your prize for being a patient there), and the doctor gives us instructions. We have a medicine that we've used for his mouth, which they say to give him. Then Tyler runs to the drug store to get some nasal decongestant spray (not sure why that works), and more Kleenex since we are quickly running out.

Meanwhile, Trenton is more hyper than any 19 month old should be at midnight. He just thinks were having a pajama party! Except for the constant nose wiping, he's having a great time. Although he does catch glimpses of all the blood and gets concerned, but quickly gets over it.

Anyway, the bleeding finally stops around 12:30 and Trenton is in bed with us as we try to get him to calm down a little bit. He does eventually, and its back to bed for all of us.

This morning, I noticed he did bleed a little more and his poor little nose is just a crusty blood mess. He really hates that. But he's otherwise good! I think the worst part for him was me not giving him his pipe back since it was in the laundry (it's attached to a blanket). So luckily I don't think he'll be too traumatized.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! That would be so scary. I'm glad he doesn't get too upset by it, and that you got to him quickly enough to get it under control at home. Poor sweet Trenton!

    ReplyDelete